Monday, September 30, 2013

A Psalm of strength

Psalm 37

Allowing a reflection during this time of trial.  Giving strength during this time of tribulation. 

I have been envious toward those doing perceived wrongs toward me. I have looked at people and complained that they have not worked as diligently as they should as they sit in comfortable homes.  It has really and truly ruled many of my waking moments, and if this is the case, am I really doing what God wants?

I have been fretful, a lot....  Job didn't fret when all sorts of calamity hit him. He hunkered down, and praised God.  WOW....  I am not worthy.  I have not been as Job.  I have questioned.  I have had fear.  I have worried.  I have......... failed.  Point blank.  I have failed. 

God cares and loves us.  If he cares for the sparrow why would he not care more for us? In Matthew 10:29-31 we are told that even the hairs on our head are numbered and that God does indeed care for us, and what becomes us.  Luke 12:24 says, "Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap; they have no storeroom nor barn, and yet God feeds them; how much more valuable you are than the birds."   

Now I am not saying that God doesn't tell us to prepare and store....  There are instances in the Bible where we are told to do exactly that.  What I am saying is that we are to not let the worry rule us and take control.  The stress from the worry is debilitating.  It hurts our physical and emotional health. 

When we are anxious about things of this world, even  things that are needs, we lose our focus on God.  Fear and anxiety must not rule the day.  When we think about the might happens, could happens, and should happens of things to come we carry burdens that are God's domain.  Please Father, take these worries from me.

Children understand this.  My daughter quietly shared with me as we looked at a post of daily encouragement on another blog how God made the cardinals and takes care of them, so we don't need to worry.  Simple words and simple truths from the lips of a child.  God provides for us, if we allow him to. 

Allow me to share much of Psalm 37 with you my gentle friends.

Do not fret because of evildoers,
            Be not envious toward wrongdoers.

For they will wither quickly like the grass
            And fade like the green herb.

Trust in the LORD and do good.
            Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.

Delight yourself in the LORD;
            And He will give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD,
            Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

He will bring forth your righteousness as the light
            And your judgment as the noonday.

Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
            Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,

            Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.

Cease from anger and forsake wrath;
            Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.

For evildoers will be cut off,
            But those who wait for the LORD, they will inherit the land.

Yet a little while and the wicked man will be no more;
            And you will look carefully for his place and he will not be there.

But the humble will inherit the land
            And will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.

The wicked plots against the righteous
            And gnashes at him with his teeth.

The Lord laughs at him,
            For He sees his day is coming.

The wicked have drawn the sword and bent their bow
            To cast down the afflicted and the needy,
            To slay those who are upright in conduct.

Their sword will enter their own heart,
            And their bows will be broken.

Better is the little of the righteous
            Than the abundance of many wicked.

For the arms of the wicked will be broken,
            But the LORD sustains the righteous.

The LORD knows the days of the blameless,
            And their inheritance will be forever........


and it goes on to say.....

The steps of a man are established by the LORD,
            And He delights in his way.

When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
            Because the LORD is the One who holds his hand.

I have been young and now I am old,
            Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
            Or his descendants begging bread.

All day long he is gracious and lends,
            And his descendants are a blessing.

Depart from evil and do good,
            So you will abide forever.


This Psalm of David is full of wisdom and encouragement for each and every one of us.

 
Yes Father, encourage me to delight in you always.  Guide me to do your will Father.  Give me strength Father, and hold my hand while I travel in this valley.  I know you will never forsake me.  I ask this Father, and pray this, in your Son's name.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to share your comments with me. It means a lot. Thank you!